The moving process

Once you have signed your handshake, you will be contacted by your Expatriate Transfer Advisor from the Shell HR Service Center, who will send you a briefing note with regard to your forthcoming transfer; he or she will guide you through the relocation process.
The following partners will be involved:

  • SHELL Sending Transfer advisor
  • SHELL Receiving Transfer advisor
  • TEAM Relocations

Outpost will be there to assist you with the non-contractual aspects of the move. For policies and entitlements, we kindly request you to check the HR Online portal on the SWW or to contact your HR Focal point.

TEAM Relocations

TEAM Relocations is the service provider for Shell staff and coordinates many of the practical matters related to your relocation (immigration support (visas and permits), temporary accommodation, car hire, home search, school search etc.). They also take care of the packing and shipment of your household goods. They will contact you before your move to discuss your needs and the applicable limitations and regulations. the visa application process is complex. Contact TEAM Relocations on-site team for processing and information assistance.

Visa, Customs and Important Documents

For updated matters concerning Chinese visa and customs, refer to: or check the website of the Chinese embassy in your home country. It is strongly recommended that, when requesting a new passport, you should request the maximum number of pages available. A China Residence Permit takes up one whole page, and requires annual renewal.

To obtain a work permit the Chinese authorities will require your original diploma (from your most recent, relevant university or college). Possibly also required are birth certificate and marriage certificate. You will be asked to provide these to Team Relocations, sent by courier, as part of your visa application, before arrival in China.

Driving license

You cannot drive on a foreign license in China but you will need your foreign license to obtain a Chinese one. In order to obtain a Chinese driving license, you will have to pass a written test (in Chinese or English). Foreign licenses no longer need to be given up in order to obtain a Chinese one.

Vaccinations and Medicals

To obtain a Resident‟s visa for China it is necessary to undergo a medical examination. It is your responsibility to arrange the medical at a suitable facility. Consult with Crown Relocations or your Transfer Advisor if in doubt as to where you can get this done. In some locations, Shell Medical will perform these medicals before departure.

There are no mandatory vaccinations for Beijing, however, the following vaccinations are recommended: Hepatitis A and B, Typhoid, Yellow Fever, Japanese Encephalitis and Rabies. Also, all travellers should be up-to-date on tetanus-diphtheria, measles-mumps-rubella, polio and varicella immunisations. Crown Relocations can provide you with an up-to-date list of recommendations; however, you are urged to consult with your healthcare provider to determine what is right for you and your family.


According to the Law on the Entry and Exit of Animal and Plant Quarantine, cats or dogs are the only pets allowed for entry but must be declared. Each passenger is allowed to bring one pet only, with an up-to-date rabies vaccination certificate, a health certificate issued by the relevant quarantine government department in the country of origin and an official certificate from your current country for exporting your pet outside of the country. Furthermore, the pet and pet owner must be on board the same flight.

In Beijing, upon arrival at the airport, an official from the department will await to take your pet to a quarantine facility for 7 days. They will inform you of the date at which you can claim your pet. Certain fees must be paid which vary according to local regulation, but amount to at least 1,000 RMB. For dogs only, following quarantine, it is mandatory to register them at the local police department. The resident service centre of your apartment building or villa compound might be able to assist you with registering your dog. Regulations do change regularly. Check for more detailed up-to-date information the website of the International Center for Veterinary Services (ICVS), under „Importing pets into China‟


Before arriving in China, it is difficult to know what you should bring and what you should leave behind. Broadly speaking, most things can now be found in Beijing, some things more easily than others. If you need further details on importing and exporting furniture out of Beijing, get in contact with your Team Relocations representative (as the dealings could be complicated).
Upon arrival it is convenient to have a number of items for immediate use.

Please consider these items to bring in your baggage or airfreight, depending on what your temporary accommodation will be:
Carry with you:
o Computer, notebook
o Camera
o Medical records for Visa application
o Some favourite toys for the kids
o Chargers for all electronic equipment
o Medication
o Good moisturizer for face and body
o When arriving in the summer months: suncream
o Items for infants, including formula milk

Air Freight:
o CD‟s, DVD‟s or music and movies in digital format
o Toys for children
o Supplies for infants – diapers and wipes are widely available but safe formula milk is very expensive in Beijing
o Clothes for the changing seasons - especially when arriving around March or September when the temperature changes quickly.
o Vacuum cleaner
o Iron & board
o TV
o Coffee Maker, Kettle
o Printer
o Some little things like candles, photo's, to make the new place feel more like home
o Towels, bedding, duvets, pillows
o Basic kitchen equipment
o Essential furnishings

Note that you are probably going to move into your new home by the end of your first month here. At that time, your airfreight should have arrived, but your sea freight will not arrive for some weeks. If you have chosen serviced, fully-furnished accommodation, then you have no problem. If you choose only part-furnished accommodation, you might be able to negotiate temporary loan/rental of chairs, table, beds etc. If not, then you should either bring „camping‟ equipment to cover those first few weeks, or be prepared for a shopping trip before moving into the accommodation. Beijing has an IKEA.

Arrival in Beijing

At the Airport

Beijing International airport is modern and well organized, with plenty of free luggage trolleys. You will find many taxis waiting outside the airport. However, it is recommended that you ask Crown Relocations to arrange a vehicle for your first arrival – most taxis are too small to take all your baggage, not all have seatbelts in the rear, and most of the taxi drivers do not speak English.

If you do take a taxi, make sure the meter is switched on. If you use the airport expressway, the toll will need to be added on to your taxi fare. Ask for a receipt and also collect the toll receipt, in case there are reimbursable expenses. It is not customary to give tips to taxi drivers.

Outpost Beijing

Office hours: Monday - Friday 9am-12pm (Beijing Time)
Languages: English, Malay and Mandarin
Contact >>